Today I finished work quite unhappy. It was a hot day and I'd been pounding on the doors of Grey Lynn. I like this area really. The houses aren't too grand but they're mostly done up with little personal creative touches. I remember seeing old ladies boots that had been painted in bright colours and floral designs and had plants in them.
I hadn't a sign up the whole day. But there was one house. The wife said to come back in an hour. So I did. The husband said no, then chased me down the street to tell me to come back in 20 min. So I did. On my 3rd try the wife answers the door to say sorry but they can't sign up after all. So frustrating! It gets so depressing getting so many rejections.
But my signup yesterday... she was special. She thanked me over and over and kept telling me how excited she was to finally become a member of Greenpeace. She'd been wanting to do it for years. That almost had me in tears and really made me feel good. Like all my effort hadn't been a waste. I asked her nicely if she'd have her photo taken with me and she obliged though she hates having her photo taken (her friends were around and said it was true). We're playing Bingo Bonanza in the office for the prize of a Greenpeace tshirt and a pic with one of your signups was one item to tick off. Double success! I must remember to send her our pic.