Tuesday, November 9, 2010

10 Nov 2010 (Wed)

The day after I arrive I didn't go out sightseeing at all. Felt so tired. Just got up and had a Crumpet from the packet that my Colombian host gave me with butter, jam and milk. Watered the plants. Did the dishes. The girls live near Essendon, and thats like 5 minutes walking distance from Strathmore station on the Broadmeadows line, which is good for me. The girls leave at about 7.30 or 8 am to go to work. I of course can sleep through anything so don't mind the sounds of them getting ready one bit. The whole day I read the free 'This Week In Melbourne' guidebook I took from the airport's visitors centre and the section on Melbourne I photocopied from my Lonely Planet Australia. Finally take my bath at 5pm and find the girls who picked me up at the airport at home in exercise gear. We go out for a brisk walk to Moonee Ponds, about 20 min walk away. That was nice, getting a view of the neighbourhood by foot. With spring coming in, hay fever is on the rise and the Colombian girl needs to get something from the pharmacy for her symptoms. Most of the shops are tutup ye (closed ya). I see Moonee Ponds station and we pass Glenbervie station on a different route home. The music therapy girl recommends me places to visit while the Colombian girl cooks us up some pasta.

Tuesday I finally get myself out of the house. I take the Colombian girl's bike (and helmet - its compulsory here) and try to find the DFO, a mega discount shopping mall. I get so lost many times. But I'm getting a good workout, and again, its a nice way of having a look around the neighbourhood. Stopping people to ask for directions I also find a pleasure. Seeing the looks on their faces, listening to how they talk. People are fairly nice and helpful - no ones waved me away telling me they can't help - yet. I fall off my bike trying to do a stunt - I was trying to jump onto the kerb. Lucky I had my helmet on eh? My Salomon pants are unscathed, making me think they really are good pants and were worth the money after all. Don't worry, I've only scratched my palms a little. I wash off my wounds with water and wipe off with alcohol swab which I carry in my little medical kit. I find the DFO! It's not so massive. Actually the homemaker (aka furniture) section takes up a large chunk of the area. Relative to the size of this shopping zone, the DFO is just a small shop lot. The DFO only sells clothes shoes handbags etc. I really can't buy anything even if I wanted to because I am already so overloaded. With hand luggage I was about 22 kg at LCCT. That's alright for AirAsia because their 20kg allocation is for check-in baggage only. But for Pacific Blue it's 20kg for all your luggage, yes including hand carry. Will have to use up or chuck toiletries maybe before going to Auckland.

The music therapy girl is cooking a roast tonight (they're so nice right??) so i decide to contribute my easy apple crumble to the evening. It's my Nenek's recipe and it is ALWAYS a winner (except for the time I set it on fire at my friend's party, but that's another story). I need cinnamon sticks and cloves. The little store at the nearby petrol station is run by an Indian fellow (by my reckoning) and he tells me I can get them at an Asian food store in Glenroy, not too far away. So off I cycle. Nobody told me the road is on an incline all the way!!! I need to push my bike the last one fifth of the journey. But this store is good. It's got like everything. I see familiar foodstuff like Alagappa's curry powder. I don't think any Malaysian can say they couldn't live in Australia, cos they've got like all the barang makan you need to prepare regular favourites. By a lucky coincidence there's a Coles next door (Coles nie supermarket macam Giant or Tesco) and I get my green apples. Plus bread, milk and cereal for myself. I think Liesl is a hustler cos she was going on how it was her first time cooking this dish. But it was frigging amazing. When I baked my crumble it set off the fire alarm cos I had set it on 'Grill' but there was a tray on top I'd forgotten to take out, hence the smoke. It didn't burn though and the girls quite enjoyed it I reckon. I think it was also so much better because of the quality of ice cream you can get here. I got this vanilla one which was made with real buttermilk. Delish.

My wrist hurts today so i think I'll try and go see a doctor. Lucky thing I had taken up travel insurance with AXA Insurance. Why them? Well cos I found they were the ones who'd give me the longest days of coverage (190 days). Tata for now.

Pics from my time in Essendon: http://picasaweb.google.com/natasha.manan/EssendonEscapades?authkey=Gv1sRgCNjm-LXewPuBzQE&feat=directlink